[plug] AMD64 Debian Box3N :D

Mike Holland myk.list at westnet.com.au
Fri Dec 16 18:02:10 WST 2005

Randal Adamson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm pleased to have now had time to install debian-amd64 on my Athlon64
> SanDiego Core (oo 1mb cach3N!)

What kind of app's benefit from that kind of cache size?

My most cpu-loading task is video encoding, and increased cache over
128MB (sempr0n) makes no difference at all.

> I also got to play with Chroot and the ability to run 32bit apps in the
> 64bit kernel.

why the chroot? 32-bit apps work fine in 64-bit Ubuntu, including OO-2,
so long as you have the 32-bit versions of the libraries. No chroot.
  Perhaps Ubuntu is making 'debian' a little too easy? :-)

> Am I right in thinking that this system is running faster in 64bit? I
> mean Gnome runs like a dream! glxgears shows

Running a 64-bit version of Linux does make a significant improvement,
though I read its due to the extra registers. I think it was something
like 20% on my test. Not enough to make Gnome fast though!

  Have you tried increasing the clock rate yet?