[plug] AMD64 Debian Box3N :D

Randal Adamson ranz at devdata.net
Mon Dec 19 09:31:49 WST 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 18:02 +0800, Mike Holland wrote:
> What kind of app's benefit from that kind of cache size?
>
> My most cpu-loading task is video encoding, and increased cache over
> 128MB (sempr0n) makes no difference at all.

When I bought the CPU - I had the choice between a Venice Core or San
Diego Core - and the price difference was bugger all. The cache size
benefits when you increase the amount of applications you have running.
RAM is also a benefit here too.

> why the chroot? 32-bit apps work fine in 64-bit Ubuntu, including OO-2,
> so long as you have the 32-bit versions of the libraries. No chroot.
>   Perhaps Ubuntu is making 'debian' a little too easy? :-)

I could do it with the 32-bit libraries also. However, I wanted to have
the benefits of chroot - just incase she decided to go haywire and I can
end the process without crashing X. On my other Debian PC (Athlon64
3500) which runs in 32bit kernel - it crashes all the time and it's
giving me the shits - a reinstall is the only solution for that one. So
I thought I'd be "cautious" this time around.

> Running a 64-bit version of Linux does make a significant improvement,
> though I read its due to the extra registers. I think it was something
> like 20% on my test. Not enough to make Gnome fast though!
>
>   Have you tried increasing the clock rate yet?

I'm not a big fan of overclocking. The CPU is sitting in a Shuttle, and
although it has heatpipes and the "ICE" cooling system, I'm a little
reluctant to push it. On that note, she's running extremely quiet, and I
love a quiet PC.

Slightly off topic, I can't believe how much the FX chips are. Just so
you can "go crazy" with the OC.