[plug] Sound hardware

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Tue Dec 20 08:21:10 WST 2005

Remove all cards except the monitor (unless it's onboard), hard drive and floppy; see if the system beeps.  Reset your BIOS to it's defaults, add one item at a time (hard disk, floppy) rebooting each time.
Once you have the system built with just the hdd and floppy, add your cards, with the sound card first(if you have one) at the bottom and reboot.  A technician at Creative Labs, had me go through this procedure once and I've never had any issues.

Now if you still cannot get past post with everything removed, check if they are on the board any pins and verify that they are set right. There usually is a reset pin to clear the BIOS, but if you have not tampered with this then do not touch it.  If all else fails take the board back to the vendor for replacement you may have a lemon.

On 12/19/05, Tomasz Grzegurzko <tomasz_g at arach.net.au> wrote:
> I had an interrupt problem like this once. A
> # cat /proc/interrupts
> made it quite obvious to me. Something similar may be revealing for you
> also...

great idea, except I don't get past post... or even _to_ post.. it's a
hard lock before it gets to count ram.

--
Ubuntu Breezy 5.10
  I will write on a huge cement block "By accepting this brick through
PLUG discussion list: plug at plug.org.au
Committee e-mail: committee at plug.linux.org.au