[plug] AMD64 Debian Box3N :D

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Dec 20 14:38:43 WST 2005

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 06:02:10PM +0800, Mike Holland wrote:
> What kind of app's benefit from that kind of cache size?
>
> My most cpu-loading task is video encoding, and increased cache over
> 128MB (sempr0n) makes no difference at all.
[...]

That probably depends on the specifics of your encoder and encoding
options - the motion estimation step is pretty demanding on your cache
so perhaps you're _still_ blowing your cache after the upgrade, or
perhaps your options were well suited to the Sempron in the first place.

I really notice the cache in bzip2's - on small machines gzip (gzip -6) is
faster than gzip -9, which is faster than bzip2 (bzip2 -9; 900KiB blocks).
With 1MiB or more cache, gzip < bzip2 < gzip -9 .

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal