[plug] AMD64 Debian Box3N :D

Jonathan Young jonathan at pcphix.com
Wed Dec 21 09:48:42 WST 2005

Daniel Foote wrote:

>I think what was meant to be said was about Intel's AMD64-like chip.
>It's generally referred to as "EMT64", and works quite similarly to
>the AMD64 chip. It actually uses the same "technology" under licence
>from AMD (so it can do the 32-bit stuff too). As I understand...
>
>I also understand that at this point they are inferior, due to not
>having a decent memory controller built into them, unlike the AMD64.
>But I can't verify this... and I'm sure Intel will fix this up, in
>time.

Hi Daniel.

You are correct and this (amongst many other reasons) is why I still
recommend AMD over Intel for around 90% of my clients.

I have actually seen a very decent diagram of how AMD's integrate memory
controller works in comparison to Intel chips, but because I personally
find AMD's website VERY hard to navigate, this is the best I could find:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_9487%5E9492,00.html

--
Jonathan Young
Director of PC-PHIX