[plug] AMD64 Debian Box3N :D

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Wed Dec 21 12:59:19 WST 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 08:56 +0800, Randal Adamson wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 23:58 +0800, Richard Meyer wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 11:30 +0800, Randal Adamson wrote:
> >

> > > I haven't had the chance to install the latest SUSE 10.
> > > Have they made it easier to install software? (i.e. vs APT)
> >
> > Yast is pretty easy, but apt4rpm is in the Yast repository - so install
> > it and apt-get as much as you want.
> >
> > > Is there a local WAIX-enabled mirror for SUSE stuff?
> >
> > If you find one, let me know - I'm going to Germany, which I suspect is
> > not on WAIX ;-)
> >
> > > Are Novell locking down the "updates" and making you pay for
> > > "maintenance"?
> >
> > If they are they're doing a really bad job of it - such that I don't see
> > any problems.
> >

> Cool :) I've got another Athlon64 box that I want to load SUSE on. Once
> I install it, and install apt-4-rpm (which you say is in the YOU
> repository), I should then be able to get Synaptic?

apt install synaptic

And before anyone says "That's 'apt-get install' synaptic, moron!!", yes
you can use apt-get, but I include the following from the apt man-page

> DESCRIPTION
>        Apt provides a single command line user interface for the following
>        commands: apt-get(8), apt-cache(8), apt-config(8), apt-cdrom(8) and the
>        rpm query possibilities. Besides the single interface it provides some
>        additional options that are specific to apt in combination with rpm.

> I thought Apt-4-RPM had their own repositories? If so, what is a "local"
> one here in Australia?

Someone pointed one out yesterday in this thread .... I tried to find
one, but my Google-fu doesn't seem powerful enough.

> Didn't "Red Carpet" solve RPM dependencies issues? Or is that now all
> handled through YAST2?

I've always used YAST and never had any problems - I've also run
Mandrake and used its *drake upgrade tools and been happy. I regard YAST
as being perfectly fine, although difficult (impossible?) to script,
unlike urpmi, or apt.

I've never had YAST b0rk on RPM dependancies, except when I installed
xine from elsewhere because SUSE is too scared to give us a xine that
works with libdvdcss. This can be overcome by adding
ftp;//packman.rsync.zmi.at//suse/10.0 to the list of installation media,
and installing xine from there.

YMMV, of course.