[plug] AMD64 Debian Box3N :D

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Dec 21 10:11:47 WST 2005

Randal Adamson <ranz at devdata.net> writes:
>On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 23:58 +0800, Richard Meyer wrote:
>> On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 11:30 +0800, Randal Adamson wrote:

>> > I haven't had the chance to install the latest SUSE 10.
>> > Have they made it easier to install software? (i.e. vs APT)

>> Yast is pretty easy, but apt4rpm is in the Yast repository - so install
>> it and apt-get as much as you want.

>> > Is there a local WAIX-enabled mirror for SUSE stuff?

>> If you find one, let me know - I'm going to Germany, which I suspect is
>> not on WAIX ;-)

>> > Are Novell locking down the "updates" and making you pay for
>> > "maintenance"?

>> If they are they're doing a really bad job of it - such that I don't see
>> any problems.

>Cool :) I've got another Athlon64 box that I want to load SUSE on. Once
>I install it, and install apt-4-rpm (which you say is in the YOU
>repository), I should then be able to get Synaptic?

>I thought Apt-4-RPM had their own repositories? If so, what is a "local"
>one here in Australia?

>Didn't "Red Carpet" solve RPM dependencies issues? Or is that now all
>handled through YAST2?

The only dependency problem that occurs when using Yast is it
insisting on "too many" packages. That because of the *declared*
dependencies including all the ones that may be required for
functions when the cows fly over the moon.

I've never experienced (in about 100 installations) that something
that was required to be missing.
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | German words of the year 2005:
 X   against HTML mail     | Bundeskanzlerin Tsunami Gammelfleisch
/ \  and postings          | Sadly, in that order.