[plug] AMD64 Debian Box3N :D

Daniel Foote freefoote at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 10:21:23 WST 2005

On 12/22/05, Randal Adamson <ranz at devdata.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 09:48 +0800, Jonathan Young wrote:
> > http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_9487%5E9492,00.html
>

> --[quote]--
> *Enhanced Virus Protection will by default only protect the user's
> Windows operating system. After properly installing the appropriate
> Windows release, users must enable the protection of their applications
> and associated files from memory buffer overrun attacks.  Contact your
> application software vendor for information regarding use of the
> application in conjunction with Enhanced Virus Protection.  AMD and
> Microsoft strongly recommend that users continue to use third party
> anti-virus software as part of their security strategy.
> --[/quote]--
>
> Has anyone actually tried this?

I think you'll find if you're on a Linux box with a proper 64 bit
kernel, you'll already have this transparently enabled for you. So
that means that I've tried the hardware side of this, but I didn't
even know... I can't speak for the Windows side; I'm running a 32 bit
Windows on that box.

(Sorry, this wasn't your question. But I can't help it! I like stuff
that "just works" when the support is available.)

Reference: http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0406.0/0497.html

Daniel.