[plug] AMD64 Debian Box3N :D

Jonathan Young jonathan at pcphix.com
Thu Dec 22 12:02:41 WST 2005

On 12/22/2005, "Daniel Foote" <freefoote at gmail.com> wrote:

>On 12/22/05, Randal Adamson <ranz at devdata.net> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 09:48 +0800, Jonathan Young wrote:
>> > http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_9487%5E9492,00.html
>>

>> --[quote]--
>> *Enhanced Virus Protection will by default only protect the user's
>> Windows operating system. After properly installing the appropriate
>> Windows release, users must enable the protection of their applications
>> and associated files from memory buffer overrun attacks.  Contact your
>> application software vendor for information regarding use of the
>> application in conjunction with Enhanced Virus Protection.  AMD and
>> Microsoft strongly recommend that users continue to use third party
>> anti-virus software as part of their security strategy.
>> --[/quote]--
>>
>> Has anyone actually tried this?
>>

>I think you'll find if you're on a Linux box with a proper 64 bit
>kernel, you'll already have this transparently enabled for you. So
>that means that I've tried the hardware side of this, but I didn't
>even know... I can't speak for the Windows side; I'm running a 32 bit
>Windows on that box.

Actually DEP and the hardware introduced with 64-bit CPUs does work and
is supported by 32-bit versions of Windows.

The instructions being used are all 32-bit and so the 64-bit power of
your CPU doesn't get utilised, but the bit used for DEP is still in use
so definitely any version of Windows XP (and other current Windows
versions, perhaps?) will show the DEP options.

For older hardware it is OFF, for newer hardware it is ON by default, but
can be altered to cover more applications then just the essential
Windows components.

64-bit instructions and performance are a whole other section.