[plug] Best UPS for Linux

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Dec 22 12:32:57 WST 2005

Jonathan Young wrote:

> Any good experiences?  Any bad experiences?  Any recommendations?  Any
> good brands?  Any bad brands?  Anywhere to get some more information?

I've been very pleased by the PowerWare 2000VA online double-conversion
UPS the POST bought recently. While overkill for your needs, it's a
great unit with network management, multiple options for controlled
shutdown (polled SNMP, SNMP trap, it's own software for win32, or serial
monitoring), it can shut down the two load segments independently, etc.
Its online stats and monitoring are excellent. It's network module has a
4-port switch that lets you set up a separate management network if you
want.

It can keep the POST's four main servers and two switches running for
rather more than five minutes, though I haven't yet load tested beyond
15 mins.

Before I put this UPS in place the POST's servers had no power
protection, due the failure of an old and smaller UPS quite some time
ago. Budget constraints. After moving to new premises, we'd started
seeing frequent server crashes and hardware failures. These entirely
stopped after I put the UPS in place, and I don't think it's co-incidence.

It's nuking a fly to get one of these for just one server, though IIRC
it only cost a bit under two grand. However, PowerWare as a brand I've
been quite happy with. You might find it worth checking out their lower
end UPSs, keeping in mind that just because one line is excellent does
not mean another will be.

--
Craig Ringer