[plug] Best UPS for Linux

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Wed Dec 21 23:28:56 WST 2005

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005, Jonathan Young wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I have a server running a 350W ATX PSU and a mainboard that has both USB and
> serial ports.  In the event of a power outage, we would like the server to
> stay up for 5 minutes or so.  If nothing has changed after 5 minutes it would
> be ideal if the UPS could then start a shutdown sequence.
>
> So all up a UPS that is Linux compatible (currently running Mandrake /
> Mandriva), would keep the server ticking over for 10 minutes total - anything
> longer is a bonus - and could issue a shutdown command if necessary after 5
> minutes would be ideal.  We might try and keep the phone system and ADSL
> modem running also, so I'd go to a better model to get that option.  However,
> that is just a matter of taking down some numbers and getting enough VA for
> what we need to run.  First and foremost, it needs to get us through a real
> short outage and talk to Linux via USB or serial.  What do you look for on
> the box to KNOW that it will play nicely with Linux??
>
> Any good experiences?  Any bad experiences?  Any recommendations?  Any good
> brands?  Any bad brands?  Anywhere to get some more information?
>
> All answers, stories or suggestions are appreciated as I want to get
> something done before Friday and have so far got very few answers...
>
> --
> Jonathan Young
> Director of PC-PHIX
> jonathan at pcphix.com

I believe that the issue of UPS's for Linux, has been repeatedly raised
on this list, and, no doubt, it has been repeatedly suggested that the
list archives be checked before again raising such queries.

Anyway, a UPS provider that I recommend, is at
http://www.ampelups.com.au, and telephone contact details (and physical
location) are on the web page company.htm on the above domain name, or
by clicking on the About link on one of the web site pages.

That company can provide UPS's of varying capacities, and we saw one
that, from memory, had several hours of backup capacity.

Our UPS as provided by that company, came with UNIX software (that we
have yet to instal), which should run on Linux, and also with Windows
software.

If you need a solution before Friday, and if you do not already have a
solution, then I suggest that you phone that company.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."