[plug] David's ADSL Problem

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Fri Dec 23 10:59:20 WST 2005

Daniel Foote wrote:

> (I don't know why there is Debian Sarge on this machine; and I do not
> say that it is a bad choice. I assume it is there for a reason. I am
> merely trying to say that Debian doesn't hand-hold at all.)

Hi Daniel

Thank you for taking the time with the command line instructions. I'm
sorry that the list has run on so long on this problem but if Conceptual
have worked with David to confirm the modem is ok then setting up the
Computer Angels system is as simple as the GUI you recommended (see my

There is a talk I gave for PLUG that explains the approach that we have
taken here:
http://www.computerangels.org.au/resources/plug2005.shtml

In summary (and this appears to be an anathema for some tech people) the
Computer Angels system is set-up and we interact with our participants
in the same way as retailers do every day (only they charge a commercial
rate).

Most people never change their software, including reloading the OS,
without some help; either from a friend or by returning the machine to
the shop.

If we provide the support where required we are working in the same way
as our commercial equivalents. The OS is irrelevant; be that Windows,
$linux_flavour, BSD, Solaris, MacOS.

We also recommend in our brochures that people contact us if they are
interested in buying a printer, scanner, or digital camera only because
the manufacturers do not all provide Linux drivers to the community as
they provide support for their products to Microsoft.

But even this is equivalent to someone seeking advice on a product from
the retailer.

We think the approach is the right one for the people we are wanting to
help.

cu :-)
Harry