[plug] suse kernel upgrade

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Sat Dec 24 15:25:01 WST 2005

On Sat, 2005-12-24 at 00:38 +0800, Jon Miller wrote:
> It has been reported that kernel version 2.6.8 or better handles SCSI tape backups for LTO drives and better.  Where as the version of the kernel that comes with Suse v9 is not up to that version by default.
> On our Debian box we use the 2.4 version and the backup does not work with a SCSI Tape Backup system on this also.  It is very sporadic, I've been fighting this problem for quite some time.  On another sites which uses Red Hat it's the same story the backup has gone from working sometimes to not working throughout the year. I've had IBM come out and check things and they cannot get to the bottom of problem.
> So after doing some research on the matter I came to a website that gave an exact explaination of what is going on at all 3 sites.
> The version of the kernel recommended for the 2.4 kernel is v 2.4.29. I thought I would build a test box and give the updated Kernel version a try.  However, before I go and do this I thought it be best to check which method is the best for the distros I use.
> reference site: http://www.linuxtapecert.org/
>
> JLM

I presume that since you are using SLES on a server, that you have are
using the SUSE sites for updating. Why not contact SUSE and ask about
getting those enhancements backported. They often do backport functional
enhancements and, as I said, bug fixes.

The standard SUSE kernels are rather heavily modified, and you may lose
functionality by upgrading to a stock kernel.