[plug] ADSL good news/ DEFault gateway

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Tue Dec 27 11:08:00 WST 2005

David are you saying your default gw is 172.29.29.192? so that we are on the same page, is this the ip address on your internal connection (e.g the one connection that all internal PC connect to or the external connection (connection that is on the Internet)?
If it's internal then all your internal pc's must be in the range of addresses dictated by the subnet mask (this determines how many hosts you can use and what your network and broadcast address is. Knowing this lets you know which one to use for a gateway and the other for the PC.
Example is as follows:
Let's say you have 1 PC and the router/modem, the ISP issued you a block of addresses with a network of 172.29.29.192/30
Which this it means you can use 172.29.29.193 and 172.29.29.194 with a broadcast address of 172.29.29.195.
So you would assign your gateway either .193 or .194 and the PC with the other.
/30 dictates how many hosts you can have (in this case 2 hosts).
So what you need to do is let us know what subnet mask and or network address you are working with. From my calculations .192 is a network address not to be used for hosts or gateway. If this is the case what is the subnet mask?

JLM

>>> davidatt at conceptual.net.au 10:40:18 pm 26/12/2005 >>>
hi jonathan,

the gateway default start with 172.29.29.192 this one dose not line up
with the one i have in my computer at all.

i did have the web site come looking up then stop ok..

david

PLUG discussion list: plug at plug.org.au
Committee e-mail: committee at plug.linux.org.au