[plug] Newbys guide

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Feb 1 15:36:53 WST 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 15:02 +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> Timothy White wrote:
>
> > I have 2 identical 80Gb drives which both get thrashed about. Hda is
> > without a caddie and has got up to 52C before while hdc has only got up
> > to 47C.
>
> That's still rather hot.  For comparison, the drive in my desktop at
> home is sitting at 33C.

The SATA disks in my server's RAID array are at 42 - 48 (they vary a
bit), which is a lot hotter than they should be. However, they're in the
middle of a RAID rebuild and verify, so they're thrashing like mad. The
room's air conditioner also wasn't on, so it's pretty warm in here.

They typically sit at five to ten degrees above air temperature at
moderate use levels.

I'd expect a desktop to run a bit cooler than that if well ventilated.

My experience has also been that ATA drive cages either suck or cost
absurd amounts (or, often, both) - their cooling tends to be poor, and
their fans die horrible slow rattling deaths after far too little
running time.

--
Craig Ringer