Hot Drives (Re: [plug] Newbys guide)

Timothy White weirdo at tigris.org
Wed Feb 2 10:23:07 WST 2005

Cameron Patrick wrote:

>Timothy White wrote:
>

>>I have 2 identical 80Gb drives which both get thrashed about. Hda is
>>without a caddie and has got up to 52C before while hdc has only got up
>>to 47C.
>>

>That's still rather hot.  For comparison, the drive in my desktop at
>home is sitting at 33C.

I discovered why they were running so hot. There at 35 and 46 right now
and the same problem is still running.
My nice new Exim4/dspam setup had a few initial problems with a loop.
This caused a BIG queue which I was hoping would be cleared up by the
time I got up this morning. Unfortunately the disks had filled up so I'm
now also running filtering scripts as well as the the queue runner as
well as dspam (with MySQL backend) all thrashing the disk around with
 >1Gb of messages waiting for processing.

I think I have a 2.6 kernel to thank for keeping my system responsive
enough while the loop was going for me to kill the loop and start
scripts running so I could keep the mail server running.

Tim

--
Tim White - Use the Fox, Luke!
PGP/GPG id: 602E944D, Pub Key Serv: subkeys.pgp.net