[plug] Newcomers' welcome (revised)

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sat Feb 5 20:12:47 WST 2005

In message <42052529.1822.139D306 at localhost>
on Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 07:57:29PM +0800, Arie Hol wrote:
> Greet new subscribers with a short but cordial welcome, and indicate
> to them that participation on the mailing list is subject to certain
> rules of etiquette.
[...]
> I am inclined to think that many new subscribers may not even bother
> to  read the current list anyway.

I'll let you know why I have been keen to append the guidelines to the
welcoming message:

 - If we disconnect the guidelines from the welcoming message, then
   I think many new subscribers will not bother to read the guidelines
   (especially if they have disconnected from the Internet and cannot
   follow the web link).
 - If we include the guidelines in the welcoming message, then even
   if many new subscribers don't read them to completion, we have at
   least fulfilled "our end" of the relationship by giving them a fair
   presentation.