[plug] A newbie question - navigation

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Feb 7 14:44:55 WST 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 13:07 +0800, Michael Vandine wrote:

[snip]

> The current Linux version I am using is Suse 9.1 server.  Does anyone
> know of any tutorials, etc. that would assist me in coming to grips
> with this new OS?

I'm not sure if James has enabled the updated new member welcome message
yet, so if not you can find it here:
http://www.plug.org.au/archives/message/20050205.071400.0eaf94c4.html
It contains discussions of common resources, list guidelines, etc and is
well worth a read.

Thanks for writing all that James.

I also tend to agree with Shayne - it's hard to go wrong with a book if
you need to get up and running in a hurry. I've had little experience
with general books on Linux, so perhaps others who've read some recent
ones would like to throw in a suggestion or two?

One thing to be aware of with books is that the details of the OS change
fairly rapidly. A book on Red Hat 8 will contain a *lot* of outdated
information, especially about the distributor's system administration
tools and configuration and about the graphical desktop environments.
Even outdated resources can be very useful (and for example a command-
line reference won't become dated quickly), so long as you realise it
may be a bit out of date and aren't too shocked if the odd thing doesn't
work how it says it should. I'm sure you're quite familiar with this
process from Windows, but it's always worth a reminder.

--
Craig Ringer