[plug] IPSec / L2TP and VPNs

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Mon Feb 7 18:48:01 WST 2005

Steve Baker wrote:

> I want to set up a VPN between our main office and another site.  The
> two office networks have private IPs (192.168.100.xx and
> 192.168.110.xxx) and the gateways/firewalls have public IPs.  Eventually
> there will be more site offices that will need to communicate back to
> home base.

<broken record> Open VPN is quite nice </broken record> and there's
some documentation on www.openvpn.org for setting up openvpn in
various scenarios.  A simple set-up will involve a half-dozen line
config file on each machine, a shared encryption key and whatever
tweaks to the firewall on both ends you consider necessary.

There's also PPTP (which I think is related to L2TP, though it might
just be in the final two letters of the name) which, well, works but
needs kernel patches.

Cameron.