[plug] IPSec / L2TP and VPNs

Greg gmacham at bigpond.com
Mon Feb 7 19:23:57 WST 2005

Cameron Patrick wrote:

>Steve Baker wrote:
>

>>I want to set up a VPN between our main office and another site.  The
>>two office networks have private IPs (192.168.100.xx and
>>192.168.110.xxx) and the gateways/firewalls have public IPs.  Eventually
>>there will be more site offices that will need to communicate back to
>>home base.
>>

><broken record> Open VPN is quite nice </broken record> and there's
>some documentation on www.openvpn.org for setting up openvpn in
>various scenarios.  A simple set-up will involve a half-dozen line
>config file on each machine, a shared encryption key and whatever
>tweaks to the firewall on both ends you consider necessary.
>
>There's also PPTP (which I think is related to L2TP, though it might
>just be in the final two letters of the name) which, well, works but
>needs kernel patches.
>
>Cameron.

Ive be looking at using pptp to enable a windows client to vpn  over
wireless. The standard "poptop" install doesnt have support for MPPE for
microsoft encryption. Has anyone had any experience in getting this to
work?. I guess one option would be to upgrade to sarge, but Im not sure
if I wish to do that yet.

Regards

Greg