[plug] Gates: 'Linux makes interoperability harder'

Gregory Orange gregory.orange at metoceanengineers.com
Tue Feb 8 11:18:07 WST 2005

I can understand the concept of one provider, one set of interoperations
(how's that for a word). I understand that Macintosh do that with their
hardware/OS/software, and there's no need to go through the complexity
of interacting (interoperating?) with other vendors, backyard
programmers (even including very high quality ones such as large
portions of the Open Source community) etc. I guess a lot of it is about
control - even MS have control over (or 'give guidance to') companies
that use or build upon MS products.

Of course on a more cynical note, it also means you can invent your own
standards or not even follow any, because quick and dirty hacks will
never be uncovered by those outsiders... until someone discovers the
buffer overflow I guess.

Re: the Subject; 'harder' maybe meaning "harder to set up, but then it
works like a charm forever coz it's good quality" as opposed to "Install
it using simple wizards now, cry over trying to fix it later". But there
are so many people who are short-sighted, and will choose the latter.
Even intentionally short-sighted because "you won't get fired for buying
(IBM) Microsoft".

> I'm somewhat philosophical about setting passwords on windows boxes,
> because it doesn't seem to make a difference security-wise at the end of
> the day.
I think that's a one-eyed anti-Windoze rant. Plug subscribers would (and
do) abuse MS employees for saying the same sorts of biased things about
Linux. Of course setting a password makes a difference.

Greg.

Kai wrote:

> I needed a good laugh !
>
> Gates: 'Linux makes interoperability harder'
> http://management.silicon.com/itpro/0,39024675,39127619,00.htm

  -
Gregory Orange
Systems Administrator
Metocean Engineers Pty Ltd
31 Bishop Street
JOLIMONT WA 6014
AUSTRALIA
http://www.metoceanengineers.com
Phone: +61 8 9387 7955  Fax: +61 8 9387 6686
E-Mail: gregory.orange at metoceanengineers.com