[plug] Recommended Distro for lo spec computer? [UNCLASSIFIED]

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Feb 8 15:12:15 WST 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 14:57 +0800, Mike Holland wrote:
> Clark Julian wrote:
> >
> > (not sure of the speed & ram etc, probably a P-166)
> > ... firefox and thunderbird.
>
> Firefox on a  P166 ?? Thats a scary thought. She'll be able to read
> the text as it renders.  How about 'links' instead?

Work with the CA distro suggests that 64MB and a P233 is adequate to run
any two of Firefox, OpenOffice, or Thunderbird with perfectly reasonable
performance, and all three with a small amount of swapping when
switching between them.

I couldn't believe it personally, but we checked - and it does work. I
suspect a large amount of the credit goes toward the integration efforts
by Debian and by the distros in general, causing all three apps to share
the same instance of Gtk etc where they would otherwise load their own.

--
Craig Ringer