[plug] Recommended Distro for lo spec computer? [UNCLASSY]

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Tue Feb 8 16:23:13 WST 2005

Clark Julian wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I've a colleague with a relatively lo-spec computer. A Pentium I believe
> (not sure of the speed & ram etc, probably a P-166)
> She's having issues with her current Windows installation.

Debian, Debian and Debian. In addition, to get it to run on a low spec machine you need to ensure
the SDRAM is interlocked with the DDR and CPU in a PAT configuration. You will also get a serious
performance boost by reconfiguring the poofle valve in the BIOS via ACPI and APIC. Make sure the
EISA bus bridges between the ISA, PCI and VLB and you will be set for full compatibility. Anything
else is just a boondoggle.

B1 (Bzzzzzzz, plop.....whir....)