[plug] netBSD installation [OT]

Lyndon Maydwell maydwell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 22:47:32 WST 2005

At the risk of being off topic, I've decided to ask here, as I don't
know of any BUGs (hehe) in perth, the netBSD forums are still very
new, and #netbsd on freenode is idle-city.

I've aquired an old pentium computer and want to give netBSD a try,
2.0 just recently came out so I made followed the instructions and
made the series of two boot floppies (this PC won't boot from CD) but
it always fails on the second floppy. I've tried a few diferent disks,
and the md5sum always checks out, so I'm at a loss.

One Idea I've had is that I could copy the boot images to the
hard-drive and use that to bring the CD drive 'online', but I'm at a
loss as to how to acomplish this... some form of
        `dd if=boot-big.fs of=/dev/sda1` ?
        (the hard drive is currently plugged in to my linux box via a
usb adapter)

Anyway, just asking on the off chance that someone has encountered
this problem before.