[plug] netBSD installation [OT]

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Wed Feb 9 14:19:50 WST 2005

Lyndon Maydwell wrote:

> I've aquired an old pentium computer and want to give netBSD a try,
> 2.0 just recently came out so I made followed the instructions and
> made the series of two boot floppies (this PC won't boot from CD) but
> it always fails on the second floppy. I've tried a few diferent disks,
> and the md5sum always checks out, so I'm at a loss.

Very odd.  I've noticed that the netbsd kernel can be a bit picky
about hardware (e.g. IDE doesn't work on a Wizard PC with DMA
enabled), so try the TINY or LAPTOP kernel to see if they work.  Also,
I've only ever installed NetBSD using a network boot; it might be more
reliable than floppies (although it doesn't sound like the physical
media is your problem).

Plus, what the other people said (especially regarding giving a more
detailed description of what goes wrong...though NetBSD boot errors
are often really cryptic).

Cameron