[plug] Ncurses-devel for Mandrake 10

Michael Collard quadfour at iinet.net.au
Sun Feb 13 05:14:09 WST 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-12 at 19:34 +0800, Innis Cunningham wrote:
> Thanks guys
>
>   Michael writes
> >
> >So far nobody has pointed out the obvious... Its asking for
> >libncurses-devel meaning its looking for the header files, not the
> >libraries. Aside from that, type urpmi libncurses5-devel and thats it.
>
> No the kernel source code 2.4.25 is looking for ncurses-devel and the
> only packages available for mandrake are the libncurses-devel5 packages.
> As said maybe it is bad packaging.But what is the work around.As I do all
> my installs from the KDE GUI I may need some help if I have to install these
> packages from the command line.Would I be right in assuming that to do
> this I would CD into the directory were the rpm is and issue the command
> Install package xyz or is it a bit more complex than this

While even new kernel packages say they require ncurses-devel, they're
really after libncurses5-devel. With urpmi, seems it can use either to
install the correct package. To install the kernel source, all you
should have to do is type 'urpmi kernel-source' (as root). Urpmi will
then prompt you saying there are extra packages needed, and it will
install them as necessary.

Cheers
Michael Collard