[plug] Lightning risk

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Mon Feb 14 14:40:08 WST 2005

Craig Ringer wrote:

> As for the surge protection board guarantees of equipment
> replacement ... I'm suspicious of those. I'd be interested to know if
> there are any dodgy tricks or loopholes they use to get out of such
> payments, because the quoted value limits seem unrealistic risks if they
> actually expected to have to pay out.

There was an article on dansdata.com about that a while ago.  Sounds
like the trick is that you have to prove that it was due to a
lightning risk and that it was their device that failed to protect it,
i.e. the "our lawyers are more expensive than yours" loop hole.

*googles*

http://www.dansdata.com/gz039.htm

Cameron