[plug] Lightning risk

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Mon Feb 14 14:48:34 WST 2005

Craig Ringer wrote:

>My understanding is that most computers are fried via spikes through the
>phone lines, not the power.

Yup, thats what happens in my experience.

In the 6 years I've worked at the place I work at currently, the only
dead equipment from lightning strikes we've had, haven't come through
the power.  The major surge we had came through our 50 metre lightning
rod (i.e. transmission tower) out the back (it got directly struck), and
found its way into our computer network via the radio studio which was
hooked into the main LAN at the time.  It zapped every single hub and
killed every single network card in every computer (it didn't zap our
Cisco ISDN router, or the Jetdirect cards in our HP network printers
though).  All of the computers were fine apart from the dead network
cards in them.

The only case where I've seen a computer getting zapped by it coming in
via the power system, was one where the building itself suffered a
direct strike from lightning, and even then only one computer was
affected (but it was totally destroyed though - see here for pics:
http://frozen.3fl.net/images/misc/burnt/).

BTW, we're talking Broome here.  So thunderstorms are the norm during
the summer months (heck, we had a storm coming through when I got to
work this morning).

/ Ben