[plug] Dell vs HP for Linux desktop

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Mon Feb 14 20:10:38 WST 2005

Patrick Tehvand wrote:

> I have used both in largish rollouts at my school, Dell Optiplexes and
> HP d330s.

I've had contact with Dell Optiplexes at a school up here that I do
on-site server / network support at as part of my job.  They have a lab
full of them, and have had them for almost 2 years.. in that time they'd
only had two fans die (and didn't fry the CPU), but in the last 2-3
weeks they've had 5-6 all go down with major hardware issues (boards,
PSUs etc) - and they are all on a large UPS with surge supression (so
not a surge related fault).  I was tending slighly towards Dells, but
that was a bit disconcerting.  They now have another lab with new HP
DX2000s (Celerons) and hardware wise they look fairly well laid out
inside (the Dells seem to have a more cramped layout).

I have been tending more towards HPs, so I think I will probably go that
way.  I certainly won't be touching IBM for desktop PCs though, thats
for sure.  I like IBM servers and laptops, but not their desktops - even
from very limited experience with them.

BTW, I've dealt with Harris Tech quite a few times with various bits of
hardware, and I've always been happy with my dealings with them as well.

Thanks for the replies so far to everyone who has replied. :)  (anyone
else feel free to reply though, the more comments/suggestions the better)

/ Ben