[plug] Dell vs HP for Linux desktop

Patrick Tehvand patrick at tehvand.com
Mon Feb 14 19:12:32 WST 2005

Ben Jensz wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> We're coming up to our desktop computer renewal at work (leased
> computers), and I'm looking at a choice between Dell or HP desktop
> computers to run a Linux desktop on (not touching whitebox PCs again).
> Has anyone used either of these systems with Linux (or even Windows) and
> had any issues or comments about compatibility and even reliability?

I have used both in largish rollouts at my school, Dell Optiplexes and
HP d330s. I have to say out of the two the HPs win hands down. Support
was awesome (To the point where I told the support tech that I had
ghosted the machine and it was still munted, and I had a new machine on
my desk the next day with a return courier slip for the other one.)

I disagree with Carl with regards to resellers, as we currently use
Harris Technology and have found their contacts with HP to be great and
the ability to call our account manager and have her solve everything.

A small caveate that we do drop about 100K on them each year so we may
have a distorted view ;-)

Support for Linux for both are fine, but I did find dell have a
neverending supply of bios updates. If you are buying in groups of more
than 10 then HP will do bid pricing which will equal any Dell pricing
plus they often have free delivery to anywhere in australia specials.

I have no stake in either Harris Technology or HP, other than being a
very very satisfied client.

We have had both windows and linux (rh-ews) running (windows is our SOE)
and I dont recall driver issues with either.

Hope that helps.

Patrick