[plug] Modprobe question

Carl Gherardi carl.gherardi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 08:43:30 WST 2005

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 23:06:05 +0800, Mike Holland
<myk.list at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> Brad Campbell wrote:
>
> >> which the system seems happy about.  And yet I still have to do the
> >> "modprobe advansys" command after booting.
> >> Is there something I am missing to make this all happen automagically?
> >

> > Don't know about Fedora. In debian I'd
> > echo advansys >> /etc/modules
> >
> > Brad
>
> With a 2.6 kernel, you might want:
>
> # /etc/modprobe.preload: kernel modules to load at boot time.
>
> Of course, you could always add the "modprobe advansys" command to
> /etc/rc.local .

No offense, but yuk - rc.local is a last resort. I didn't know about
module.preload, but the way to solve this is to create a new initrd
(initialized ram disk) file for bootup (a requirement if its your root
disk)

mkinitrd will automatically add modules labelled scsi_hostadapter in
modules.conf.

edit grub/lilo to use the new initrd, and things should "just work"
(tm). Any new kernel upgrades should also pick this up.

Cheers

Carl G