[plug] Modprobe question

Mike Holland myk.list at westnet.com.au
Wed Feb 16 10:17:42 WST 2005

Carl Gherardi wrote:

>>Of course, you could always add the "modprobe advansys" command to
>>/etc/rc.local .
>>

> No offense, but yuk - rc.local is a last resort. I didn't know about
> module.preload, but the way to solve this is to create a new initrd
> (initialized ram disk) file for bootup (a requirement if its your root
> disk)

No offense, but yuk! Overcomplicated. It was clear that he doesn't need
the SCSI for booting. So adding one word to /etc/modprobe.preload is
the simple and elegant solution.

Whats so evil about rc.local? It can save a lot of time when you don't
know a distro's quirks intimately. Or even if you do. Not elegant, but
convenient.

(Add smileys where needed)