[plug] ** February Hacker Night Notice **

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Wed Feb 16 10:28:42 WST 2005

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Cameron Patrick wrote:

> PLUG Hacker Night
>
> When:  Thursday 17 February, 7:30pm - 11:00pm
>
> Where: Central Chemical Consulting
>       Unit 1, 11 Narloo Street
>       Malaga
>
> Since the new Computer Angels distro (which has been worked on in
> previous months' hacker nights) is now nearing completion, this
> Thursday we would like to see as many PLUGgers as possible turn up
> with hardware to test for compatibility with the CA distro.  We're
> mainly interested in hardware that is known to work with other
> distributions of Linux, particularly
>
>    - ink-jet printers (parallel and USB)
>    - digital cameras
>    - USB thumb drives and other storage devices

I am no Linux hacker, so my statements below, are as a layman.

It is my understanding that any digital camera that has a USB interface,
will (relatively) easily interface with Linux - it just needs mounting
as a USB storage device, and a script to upload the images. HOWTO's
exist.

Oh, and we recently picked up a $60 printer that is supposed to work
okay with Linux - an HP deskjet 3550 (it is USB). The CUPS and
foomatic-GUI test print pages, print okay, and I have just printed an
email message (from PINE, using lpr), without any problem.

I would think that, providing the Linux distribution is compatible with
the standard drivers (eg, hpojs), the printers that are designated as
compatible with linux, at linuxprinting.org (is that the correct domain
name for the HOWTO ?), would work equally with the distribution.

Are my beliefs correct?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale