[plug] Modprobe question

Carl Gherardi carl.gherardi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 11:12:45 WST 2005

> No offense, but yuk! Overcomplicated. It was clear that he doesn't need
> the SCSI for booting. So adding one word to /etc/modprobe.preload is
> the simple and elegant solution.
>
> Whats so evil about rc.local?

Really old bias, caused by two problems that struck me a while ago.

(Stories modified to protect the innocent)
One of my users was configuring alsa for a high end audio card, but
was having problems getting mixer settings to restore correctly on
startup. Unloading and reloading the module would save and restore
mixer settings correctly.
After a maddening 90 minutes, I discovered that someone helping the
user previously had added several amixer commands to rc.local that ran
after the startup mixer settings destroying changes.

The second issue - to get a proprietary scsi controller working
'someone' had set up an ide disk in the system with a basic / and
/boot /lib, then altered the rc.sysinit to run rc.local early,
modprobng the card, then unmounting the root directory and remounting
partitions on the scsi disk as / and /boot. (making the rc.local
script and the current kernel disappear in the process...)

Yeah it worked...

> It can save a lot of time when you don't know a distro's quirks intimately. Or even if you do. > Not elegant, but convenient.

Not elegant == quick and dirty == yuk ;)

modules.preload looks the be the correct solution in this case

"Theres never time to do it right, but always time to do it again"

Carl G