[plug] Apple i-book, Airport Extreme, Hacker night.

Lyndon Maydwell maydwell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 15:44:53 WST 2005

I've been pondering getting a laptop for years now, and have decided
that the ibook is almost perfect for my needs, if I've done my
research right, the only thing that isn't supported is the wirless
chip built into the laptop.

This is due to the company that makes them (Boardcom) being uppity
about releasing anything due to 'security risks' or some such
nonsense.

Anyhow, I can always get a usb wireless dongle if I need to.

My question is ... Would reverse engineering a driver be a good
project to start learning some serious coding from?

I am thinking of getting the laptop this afternoon, installing gentoo
with the aid of distcc tonight, and bringing it to the hackers night
tomorrow. If I do come, would anyone be willing to help me get started
on planning this project?

I know that a lot of 'linux people' with ibooks would be quite pleased
if this works.

Over and out, Lyndon.