[plug] xorg on a laptop (radeon) - how do I preset the external monitor resolution: Solved

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sat Feb 19 16:45:43 WST 2005

Now working: http://wdk.dyndns.org/xorg.conf.html

I can use the laptop with an external monitor, closing the lid so the
LCD blanks, but retain full control over the external monitor (bios is
set NOT to sleep when lid is closed!)
X will start in 1600x1200 on both the LCD and ext monitor port, even
with no monitor plugged in.

Secret was the merged frame-buffer mode.  I did try this at some point
without luck before, but it works now!  The duplicate device suggested
by Carl was a no-no: hard lock every time X started.

Hope this helps someone ...

BillK

On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 11:20 +0800, Carl Gherardi wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 07:12:50 +0800, William Kenworthy
> <billk at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> > xorg.conf can be found at: http://wdk.dyndns.org/xorg.conf.html
> > The difficulty is that if I start X, and have lots of windows open, I
> > have to shut them all down, stop X, plug in the monitor and restart X,
> > then reopen all my apps.  Not good, especially when arriving to give
> > lecture and (publicly) having to waste time making xorg get its act
> > together if I forget to prepare it ahead of time.  XFree86 didnt have
> > this problem, so I am sure there is some work around that I have not
> > discovered yet.  Can anyone suggest what I need to do?
>
> I think you need a second device for busid pci1:0:0 called ATI1.

Home!