[plug] PDF 'printer' with cups

Adam Ashley adam_ashley at softhome.net
Sat Feb 19 17:53:02 WST 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 09:43 +0000, simon wrote:
> OK, I can print text files from linux to the pdf printer, but if I print from
> windows or even print a ps file from linux it barfs.
>
> Im guessing its because Im using the colour postscript driver in cups and it
> really needs to be a raw driver of some kind (which probably means I wont be
> able to print from linux anymore :))
>
> Im searching but cant find anything to help.... any bones people can throw
> would be appreciated.

That wont actually work. cups-pdf works by taking the PS input from the
print queue and feeding it through ghostscript to generate a PDF file.
Plain text and a few other formats are handled by ghostscript but the
most reliable way to accept input for it, especially from windows
systems is to use a postscript print driver to send PS to the print
queue.

Also check the setting on your windows postscript driver, make sure its
PostScript settings are set for maximum compatibility and NOT maximum
speed.

Adam