[plug] Dual boot Debian 64 / XP pro on Athlon64

Michael Collard quadfour at iinet.net.au
Sun Feb 20 16:34:11 WST 2005

On Sun, 2005-02-20 at 11:12 +0800, Chris Caston wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-02-20 at 00:35, Chris Caston wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > A customer has requested that I quote her on a Athlon 64 machine dual
> > booting between XP professional and Linux.
> >
> > I haven't dual booted (pure Debian all the way) in years so am wondering
> > if it is easy to setup these days with the sarge installer and grub.
> > Anyone tried it recently? What should I look out for?
> >
> > Is there any issues dual booting between Debian for Athlon 64 arch and
> > the 32bit Windows XP pro?
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > Chris Caston
>
> OK I think I will have to use the sid iso for Athlon 64.
>
> I'm considering using a MSI:
> SKT754/VK8M800/VGA/AGP/DDR400/L/FW/S/R
>
> Any ideas what the board is like for Linux support or if the installer
> should support installing to the SATA drive with its SATA chipset?

The K8M800 seems to be the same as my K8T800 except comes with builtin
video. The southbridge chip is identical and I can vouch for it's Linux
support. I'm using the Via SATA thingy now (uses libata) though I've not
tried the Promise controller on the board. So, you should be able to
install using SATA just fine, libata is _very_ common.

Cheers
Michael Collard