[plug] OT: quick question for the skype enthusiast

Steve autobot at iinet.net.au
Sun Feb 20 20:06:43 WST 2005

Surprisingly yes

We ran a test from work.  My workstation was on a fibre link, to a debian linux
desktop, i dialed a win98 56kbps laptop and had a decent conversation. He also
diale dme and it was fine. I though he was on a mobile it was really clear.

We were in the same locale though, geographically.  I dont know the effect
nationally or internationally.

Skype needs 5-6kbps up and down for a decent conversation. A 56k modem will give
this on d/load. Not so much on upload.  (Skype also doesnt upload much if your
not talking! - so if ur wife is on the faster connection thats fine!)   Packet
drops are more likely with physical distance depending on line quality, which
may result in zips, slurs or buzzes in the Skype conversation.

Shanon