[plug] OT: quick question for the skype enthusiast

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sun Feb 20 20:25:13 WST 2005

Thanks, I am on a broadband link so cant test it.

Whats got me going at the moment is how do I test a microphone?  In doze
I'd use the sound recorder - what is similar under linux?

Skype itself was dead easy to get to work under gentoo.  On the laptop
with a wireless connection I just "emerge skype" to install, the ran it
and created a new account and it connected - ~2 mins from lets start the
install to getting the ring tone on a test call!  Now if only more linux
software worked like this ...

BillK

On Sun, 2005-02-20 at 20:06 +0800, Steve wrote:
> Surprisingly yes
>
> We ran a test from work.  My workstation was on a fibre link, to a debian linux
> desktop, i dialed a win98 56kbps laptop and had a decent conversation. He also
> diale dme and it was fine. I though he was on a mobile it was really clear.
>
> We were in the same locale though, geographically.  I dont know the effect
> nationally or internationally.
>
> Skype needs 5-6kbps up and down for a decent conversation. A 56k modem will give
> this on d/load. Not so much on upload.  (Skype also doesnt upload much if your
> not talking! - so if ur wife is on the faster connection thats fine!)   Packet
> drops are more likely with physical distance depending on line quality, which
> may result in zips, slurs or buzzes in the Skype conversation.
>

> Shanon
>
> Quoting William Kenworthy <billk at iinet.net.au>:
>
> > OT: quick question for the skype enthusiasts: will it work over a modem?
> >
> > BillK
> >
> > --
> > William Kenworthy <billk at iinet.net.au>
> > Home!

> Shanon
> There are only 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and
> those who don't.

Home!