[plug] Possible problem with memory leaks

Timothy White weirdo at tigris.org
Mon Feb 21 14:27:27 WST 2005

Brad Campbell wrote:

> Bret Busby wrote:
>

>> I am in a situation when the system has to be rebooted after every
>> few hours of use, as something apparently hidden, is apparently using
>> up all of the memory, and not releasing it.
>>
>> Does anyone have any idea as to what is going on, and how to fix it?
>>

> Perhaps some hard data might help? Contents of /proc/meminfo and
> outputs from free and top might help here.

With out the above I can't do more than comment but I think you will
probably find that it is actually buffers and caches taking up the rest.
Under GNOME the memory display would show those as part of the total
memory meaning it would display between 90% and 100% all the time which
you would hope it does. Under XFCE4 the memory display only shows
process memory as cache and buffers will shrink when the os needs more
memory.

running 'free' will show you how much is what (or 'free -m ' for a
friendly display.
e.g. Current XFCE shows about 80% used while Gnome shows 99%
$ free -m
Mem:           249        246          2          0          2         76
-/+ buffers/cache:        167         81
Swap:         1961        190       1770
Shows that I have actually got 78Mb in buffers and caches (This wasn't a
good example as I am doing intensive database work, usually I have about
50% in buffers and cache)

Tim

--
Tim White - Use the Fox, Luke!
PGP/GPG id: 602E944D, Pub Key Serv: subkeys.pgp.net