[plug] Possible problem with memory leaks

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Mon Feb 28 01:26:09 WST 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Bret Busby wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> brad at tv:~$ free -m
>>             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
>> Mem:          1515       1480         35          0          0       1104
>> -/+ buffers/cache:        375       1140
>> Swap:            0          0          0
>>
>> brad at srv:~$ free -m
>>             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
>> Mem:          1518       1405        112          0         61        995
>> -/+ buffers/cache:        348       1169
>> Swap:          964         26        938
>>
>> Here are the major memory consumers on bklaptop as reported by top sorted
>> by memory.
>>
>> 1513 brad      19   0  181m 130m  24m S  2.0 13.0  16:29.33 thunderbird-bin
>> 1515 brad       8   0  181m 130m  24m S  0.0 13.0   0:00.03 thunderbird-bin
>> 1516 brad       9   0  181m 130m  24m S  0.0 13.0   0:00.99 thunderbird-bin
>> 1518 brad       9   0  181m 130m  24m S  0.0 13.0   0:02.35 thunderbird-bin
>> 2566 brad      10   0 90552  81m  16m S  0.3  8.1  14:33.48 firefox-bin
>> 2568 brad       8   0 90552  81m  16m S  0.0  8.1   0:00.00 firefox-bin
>> 2569 brad       9   0 90552  81m  16m S  0.0  8.1   0:04.46 firefox-bin
>> 2571 brad       9   0 90552  81m  16m S  0.0  8.1   0:06.05 firefox-bin
>> 3280 brad       8   0 90552  81m  16m S  0.0  8.1   0:00.00 firefox-bin
>> 7807 brad       8   0 42128  41m  964 S  0.0  4.1   0:09.14 bk
>> 5157 brad       8   0 42116  41m  964 S  0.0  4.1   0:12.77 bk
>> 1480 root       9 -10 69540  30m 9636 S  0.7  3.0  29:58.28 XFree86
>> 3995 brad       9   0 20016  19m  19m S  0.0  1.9   1:37.89 dosexec
>> 3997 brad       9   0 20428  12m  11m S  0.0  1.2   0:09.72 xcrt
>> 3796 brad       9   0 11632  11m  11m S  0.0  1.1   0:06.89 dosexec
>> 7674 brad       9   0 11304  11m 3440 S  0.0  1.1   0:04.48 wish
>>
>> Your system looks fine.
>> HTH.
>> Brad
>> --
>>

> After that, I kept going, and tried to use up the available RAM. With 19
> Mozilla browser windows open, with an average of about 7-8 tabs in each
> window, open, I got up to about 80% memory usage. I then quit Mozilla, and
> that changed the memory being used (as opposed to being cached), from about
> 500MB, to about 200MB, with an increase in the cached memory, of about 300MB.
>
> I then cleared the cache, and changed the Cache setting, in Mozilla, from
> 50MB to 5MB, as I figured that the amount of the cache, as set, would apply
> to each browser window, and so that I would not get anywhere as much memory
> caching.
>
> I then again quit Mozilla, and restarted it, but the memory usage was
> unchanged.
>
> This morning, with three Mozilla browser windows open, with a total of 28
> tabs open, one Konqueror window with 6 tabs open, and three xterm sessions,
> two with just command prompts (one in an ssh session) and one with PINE
> running, I have 100% memory usage, with 37% in cache.

<snip>

> It seems to me to be using too much memory, for what is running, and, whilst
> the second data line of the free command, shows 408MB to be used as cached
> (if I read that correctly), the first line of the data output for that, shows
> only 23MB as free, and 284MB as cached, which is less than either of the
> numbers on the second line.
>
> An issue here, is that the memory usage appears to have increased since
> yesterday, when I was running a higher load, in terms of open browser windows
> and tabs, and, in a previous session when I had similar memory usage
> displayed, when I tried to load open office, it gutted itself and had to be
> re-installed. I had assumed that that was due to memory overload.
>
> I do not know whether it was a similar scenario when I was previously running
> Konqueror, and in the process of an operation using Konqueror, the system
> committed suicide and had to be re-installed (re-install of Debian Sarge, not
> just an application). At that time, when Konqeruor went awry, and I went to a
> text console (<CTRL><ALT><Fx>), I got continuous scrolling of a line stating
> that the ext3 journalling was failing. I had to try to go to a text console
> that way, as I ccould not get an xterm window to open, in X-Windows, at that
> time. There was no login prompt displayed, just that line of scrolling text.
> Then, the system progressively chopped itself up from the inside, and in the
> end, would not boot. That was in the last couple of weeks.
>
> A problem with all of this, is that it appears that, in running Debian Sarge,
> and/or, in using Mozilla, the proposition of being able to leave a Linux box
> running indefinitely, relative to the famous "run Windows 9x for 29 days, and
> it is guaranteed to have a system crash", does not appear to be valid, as it
> appears that I cannot run Debian Sarge as a workstation, for more than a few
> hours, or, maybe, even up to a day, without needing to reboot it, to free up
> memory.
>
> And, I am concerned that reinstalling the operating system may become
> something like a weekly or monthly requirement.
>
> I am not trying to go into trolling - I believe that I have a problem, with
> memory not being properly released, and it appears to make Debian Sarge,
> unstable, when Debian Sarge is used as a workstation.
>
> I assume that Debian Sarge does not have a utility that can be run, that
> frees up memory that is not being directly used by running applications and
> running utilities?
>
> For the problems involved, I think it would be better to not have the memory
> caching, as the instability is more of a sacrifice than the benefit of faster
> for the cached memory. I am assuming that it is that the memory allocated for
> caching, is what is taking up all of the memory that is used, that is not
> directly used by running applications and utilities.
>
> --

The system ran out of memory and crashed again on Sunday morning.

The memory usage appeared a bit high, so after Mozilla crashed, I tried
to close Konqueror, and the Load Average kept increasing, and the system
hung when I tried to close Konqueror, so I had to reboot the system.

The only thing that I can think of, that is causing this, is that memory
is not being properly freed, when an application such as a browser
window, is closed.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale