[plug] kmail and KDE question (simple, I hope!)

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Tue Feb 22 16:01:36 WST 2005

 From the "I Should Know This" (tm) department :-)

Rebuilt a Gentoo machine, emerge'd kde and friends.   Cannot see any
mention of kmail though in the popup menues.   Did not worry about it too
much, delivered the system to the client (remote site) and expected that I
could help remotely (eg. ssh'ing and setting up shortcuts.)   Do not have
another Gentoo or any other system with KDE 3 and above here at present so
need someone to be my "eyes."

Should Kmail not automatically appear in the KDE popup menu under something
like "network" or "internet"?  It did in earlier times, for example in KDE
2 as well as having the orange E with the envelope-resting-against-it
(icon) in the toolbar.

Tried un-emerging and re-emerging kmail, all sweet but still no appearance
of a shortcut to kmail.   Can add one I suppose but should it not
automatically be present?

Locate kmail shows, among other things:
/usr/kde/3.3/bin/kmailservice    and
  /home/username/.kde3.3/share/apps/kmail   for each username on the system

I have Google'd for "install kmail" and "kmail not visible" and suchlike
but not a sniff of what I'm after.   There seems to be a general air of "it
will be there" and the above queries return other topics such as mailboxes
not being visible, etc.   I've had the user read out to me the links under
each of the likely tabs - no joy.

Insight appreciated :-)
Denis