[plug] Newbys guide

Milan Pospisil pospim at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 13:35:26 WST 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:35:23 +0800, J Michael Gilks
<mike.gilks at westnet.com.au> wrote:

> >  Downloading stuff seems to be a little bit of a problem as the
> > instructions often anticipate reasonable skills, IMHO.
> >  That brings me to this question: Is there some nice eye-candy(GUI)
> > tool which would take care of this just like XCD Roast or k3b will
> > simplify burning CDs or DVDs?
> >
> Every major distro I have ever tried had some form of default GUI for
> installing programs.
> Mandrake                Control Centre          Software Management
> SUSE            YAST
> Debian          Aptitude

 YAST is nice; I have been using it for installing  packages from SuSE
CDs, removing software, checking dependencies, etc., but I was not
aware that it could be used for downloading and installing of software
from the net as well.
 Certainly something worth of taking a closer look at. Thanks for the info.