[plug] resolv.conf file

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Thu Feb 24 07:09:10 WST 2005

Checkout man dhcpcd

-R     Prevents dhcpcd from replacing existing /etc/resolv.conf file.

-Y     Prevents dhcpcd from replacing existing /etc/yp.conf file.
Domainname is not updated unless -D is specified.

-N     Prevents dhcpcd from replacing existing /etc/ntp.conf file.

There are a number of dhcp packages out there, dhcpcd is the one I have
seen the most. Note that dhcpcd can overwrite other files as well.

Never heard of resolvconf, so I guess its something that has to be
manually installed, so its unlikely to be the problem unless he has
purposely added it, in which case he would have known what it does.

BillK

On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 23:35 +0800, Timothy White wrote:
> Joong Cho wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Does anyone know why my resolv.conf gets rewritten all the time? For
> > e.g., I always set the file to the following:
> It appears that you have resolvconf[1] installed.
> Some files you may want to look at and modify.
> /etc/network/interfaces - Debian. Not sure where this is on other
> Distros. Add a nameserver option to static interfaces and resolvconf
> will automatically put them in to resolv.conf
> /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base - Last resort. Put the 'base'
> information in here. Basically even when NO interfaces are configured
> this is what the default resolve.conf is.

Home!