[plug] resolv.conf file

Timothy White weirdo at tigris.org
Wed Feb 23 23:35:19 WST 2005

Joong Cho wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Does anyone know why my resolv.conf gets rewritten all the time? For
> e.g., I always set the file to the following:
>
> search
> nameserver 192.168.1.11
>
> But it always changes back to
>
> search
> nameserver 192.168.1.1
>
> Does anyone know why it does that?

While everyone seems to have said DHCP they are possibly very wrong.
IIRC DHCP will append changes.

It appears that you have resolvconf[1] installed.
Some files you may want to look at and modify.
/etc/network/interfaces - Debian. Not sure where this is on other
Distros. Add a nameserver option to static interfaces and resolvconf
will automatically put them in to resolv.conf
/etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base - Last resort. Put the 'base'
information in here. Basically even when NO interfaces are configured
this is what the default resolve.conf is.

Note: If you have resolvconf installed you shouldn't try to modify
resolv.conf as it will just be over written.

Tim
p.s. I am guessing here but it was similar to a problem I had when I
installed resolvconf although now it's a lifesaver
[1]
 Resolvconf is a framework for keeping track of the system's
 information about currently available nameservers. It sets
 itself up as the intermediary between programs that supply
 nameserver information and programs that use nameserver
 information. Examples of programs that supply nameserver
 information are: ifupdown, DHCP clients, the PPP daemon and
 local nameservers. Examples of programs that use this
 information are: DNS caches, resolver libraries and the
 programs that use them.

--
Tim White - Use the Fox, Luke!
PGP/GPG id: 602E944D, Pub Key Serv: subkeys.pgp.net