[plug] Fwd: Linux User Conference in WA?

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Thu Feb 24 08:52:37 WST 2005

Bret Busby <bret at busby.net> writes:
>On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Evert van Dijk wrote:

>> I like the concept and have had simillar ideas/hopes for these in
>> the past The main purpose I conceived was to promote Linux on
>> both the desktop and the server but to different audiences.

>> The Desktop user would not care how to setup iptables, tarballs
>> or apache but they would greatly want to know how to use KDE or
>> Gnome to achieve what they now do in Windows ie emails and office
>> and web-browsing.

>> The Server user would want to learn how to achieve the goals that
>> Windows or Unix servers now do, ie iptables, RPMs or apt-gets,
>> apache etc.

>I disagree - workstation users should also know how to configure
>firewalls. Where a single computer is used, that is not part of a LAN,
>a firewall is appropriate.

The "level" of firewall configuration should be high; i.e. almost
superficial. Once the distros "get it right", their front-end to the
firewalling should provide "secure-enough" settings via IPtables for
most end users.

>Also, Apache is needed for configuring CUPS, so, once again, Apache
>should be included for workstations, where a separate print server
>is not used.

Incorrect. CUPS provides its own "webserver" and it can be
configured without access to that as well. SuSE configures CUPS
through YaST.

>In terms of the "setup" of tarballs, if that refers to installing
>software from tarballs, that should also be included for
>workstations.

Most users should never need to touch tarballs. They're users.
Tarballs et al fall into "advanced" or "expert" user territory.

>Similarly, package installation and maintenance, should be included

Installation can be distribution-dependent.

>for workstations. Mirroring for servers, but workstations need to
>have packages installed and updated and removed, and, to undergo
>(when and where appropriate) distribution upgrades.

SuSE handles all of that transparently through YaST and its online
update. I expect that other distros are the same or similar.

If the matter is addressed at all, then it should be from a higher
level: How Linux software is distributed, installed and managed.

The "problem" with Linux is the diversity of possible deployment
areas. One can focus on particular areas by setting conference
themes such as "Linux at Home", "Small Office Desktop Linux", etc.

Make conference objectives as clear and concise as possible. That
should attract the right sort of speakers and presentations.