[plug] Fwd: Linux User Conference in WA?

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Thu Feb 24 06:59:51 WST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 23:10 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Evert van Dijk wrote:
>
> I disagree - workstation users should also know how to configure
> firewalls. Where a single computer is used, that is not part of a LAN,
>From experience with new users, the first thing they use the knowledge
for is to turn "that annoying firewall thing off".  I agree it should be
covered, but carefully and from a high level (e.g., SUSE's interface was
simple and easy).  Most firewalls are too easy for the uninitiated to
terminally stuff up.

> a firewall is appropriate. Also, Apache is needed for configuring CUPS,
> so, once again, Apache should be included for workstations, where a
> separate print server is not used. In terms of the "setup" of tarballs,
> if that refers to installing software from tarballs, that should also be
> included for workstations.

Apache is not needed for cups, it uses its own builtin webserver

tarballs and software outside the normal distro package system should be
mentioned, then left to an advanced session.   Too much, and too big a
topic to do even briefly at the basic level.

I think a desktop user should be taught minimal maintenance, and how to
use the system, same as all the windows help groups do (e.g., pensioners
and the like).  Bill Gates got it mostly right when he made the system
simple to use, simple to stuff up, and expensive to take to the repair
shop.  I dont see a problem with desktop linux taking the same path
(except make it more bulletproof, and simple and cheap for the expert to
repair!)  Us nerds love to fiddle, but most users dont, and they tend to
break things badly when they do.

BillK
.