[plug] Re: resolv.conf file

Quintin Lette qlette at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 05:19:14 WST 2005

If you have disabled dhcp on your modem, you might want to set a
static ip address on your system. (setting a static ip in itself will
totally bypass dhcp). What will happen is next time you reboot the
system, it won't be connected to anything as it won't have an ip
address. Setting a static ip address is probably a good idea on a
server anyway (everything will break when the ip address changes)

for a static ip, /etc/network/interfaces should look something like:

# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian installation
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.250
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.0.254

(replacing appropriate addresses)

You will then obviously need to update /etc/resolv.conf manually.
Since you have resolvconf (I'd never heard of it, and have been using
debian for years) installed you might want to add an entry of:
nameserver 192.168.1.11 at the end)

If you have any other pcs on that network, reenable dhcp and make sure
that the nameserver in dhcp is set to 192.168.1.11, you haven't stated
what the modem is, but it will have this option somewhere in the
configuration, and will probably default to its own ip.