[plug] Re: resolv.conf file

Timothy White weirdo at tigris.org
Fri Feb 25 10:31:06 WST 2005

Quintin Lette wrote:

>for a static ip, /etc/network/interfaces should look something like:
>
># The loopback interface
>auto lo
>iface lo inet loopback
>
># The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian installation
>auto eth0
>iface eth0 inet static
>        address 192.168.0.250
>        netmask 255.255.255.0
>        gateway 192.168.0.254
>

>(replacing appropriate addresses)
>
>You will then obviously need to update /etc/resolv.conf manually.
>Since you have resolvconf (I'd never heard of it, and have been using
>debian for years) installed you might want to add an entry of:
>nameserver 192.168.1.11 at the end)

If you don't have resolvconf you can just added nameserver 192.168.1.11
to resolv.conf.
IF it keeps getting overwritten try adding it to the entry in
/etc/network/interfaces.
e.g.

iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.250
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.0.254
	nameserver 192.168.1.11

NB: It appears that resolvconf has been around since 2003 and is now at version 1.25 but appears to only be in unstable. I'm not sure how I managed to get it pulled into my system but most major packages that deal with resolv.conf now support resolvconf (e.g. ppp ifupdown ...)

Tim

--
Tim White - Use the Fox, Luke!
PGP/GPG id: 602E944D, Pub Key Serv: subkeys.pgp.net